The Refugee Protection Division (RPD) is the division of the IRB that hears claims for refugee protection made in Canada and decides whether to grant refugee protection or not among the many claimants who come to Canada each year. Not everyone is eligible to claim refugee protection in Canada.
Refugee claim may not be eligible for referral to the IRB if a person:
- Has been recognized as a Convention refugee by another country to which you can return;
- Has already been granted protected person status in Canada;
- Arrived via the Canada-United States border;
- Is not admissible to Canada on security grounds, or because of criminal activity or human rights violations;
- Made a previous refugee claim that was found to be ineligible for referral to the IRB;
- Made a previous refugee claim that was rejected by the IRB, or
- Abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim.