Canadian citizens and permanent residents may bring their parents and grandparents to Canada through one of two popular programs: Family Class sponsorship and/or the Super Visa program. Super visa program allows parents and grandparents to come to Canada as a long-term visitor to visit their children or grandchildren. In fact, they may be eligible for a multiple-entry visa for up to 10 years depending on individual circumstances.
To apply for the parent and grandparent Super Visa, applicant must:
- Be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada,
- Be allowed to enter Canada and
- Meet certain other conditions.
In addition, applicant must also:
- Prove that his/her child or grandchild in Canada meets a minimum income threshold
- Provide a written statement from that child or grandchild that he or she will give you financial support
- Have valid Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year and
- Have an immigration medical exam
Note: Depending on the nationality, parents/grandparents may require a Temporary Resident Visa in addition to the Super Visa.